James (Jim) Camp is a Partner of the Firm, and has over 40 years of experience in real estate, finance and corporate transactions, representing developers, investors, lenders, and businesses. Jim is known for his efficient and practical approach to complex issues, where he brings his depth of knowledge and familiarity with a broad spectrum of business issues to bear in order to create successful business ventures for his clients. His focus on the business interests and goals of his clients and his personable nature have helped close hundreds, if not thousands, of transactions and earned him the long term loyalty of many clients.
Jim brings exceptional depth of experience in the fields of student housing, where he also served as project manager for a client’s development; historic preservation, where he regularly appears before City Councils and Historic Review Boards; the non-profit sector, where he has represented major local and national institutions; and joint venture arrangements, where he has negotiated many complex private equity transactions for real estate and other projects.
- Assisting the developer of a 500 acre mixed use development in the financing (mortgage and mezzanine), sale, joint venturing, and leasing of a ground-up development and eventual sale and joint venturing of residential, office, recreational, and retail developments in an award-winning center.
- Leading the acquisition and subsequent redevelopment of the historic Bullocks-Wilshire building by Southwestern Law School, including the acquisition of the ground leasehold out of Macy’s bankruptcy in New York and the acquisition of the fee interest from Cal Tech.
- Advising the developer of a large mixed-use project in Central California and successfully re-positioning its corporate and transactional structure to withstand multiple attempts to wrest control of the project from the client.
- Spearheading the successful master planning, bond financing, design, construction, leasing and management of an educational institution’s first student housing project.
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- Served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Southwestern Law School for a number of years, where he taught Real Estate Transactions.
- Frequent speaker and most recently selected by the California Education of the Bar (CEB) to teach its course on Deeds.
- Board of the Los Angeles Conservancy
- Board of American Composers Forum of Los Angeles
- Duke University Class Reunion Committee
- Alumni Interviewer for Duke University
- Emory University School of Law Alumni Advisory Board Member
- Member International Council of Shopping Centers
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Business and Real Estate Sections)
- Pasadena Bar Association (Real Estate Section)
- State Bar of California Business Law and Real Property Law Sections
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Trusts and Estate Section)